Rapid Storage Technology (RST)
Intel Rapid Storage Technology is a Windows-based application that provides improved performance and reliability for systems equipped with SATA disks for desktop, mobile, and server platforms. When using one or multiple SATA disk drives, you can take advantage of enhanced performance and lower power consumption. When using more than one disk, you can increase protection against data loss in the event of disk failure.
Features for RAID-enabled systems:
- Intel Rapid Recover Technology - This technology provides full data redundancy by copying data from a designated source drive (i.e., master disk) to a designated destination drive (i.e., recovery disk). Data updates of recovery volumes can be continuous or on request.
- Intel Rapid RAID - This technology provides the ability to create RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 5, and RAID 10 volumes on desktop and mobile platforms. Data is distributed across two or more disks to provide data redundancy or to enhance data storage performance.
- Intel Matrix RAID Technology - This technology allows two independent RAID volumes to be created on a single array. The first volume occupies part of the array, leaving space for the second volume. The array may consist of two to six SATA disks depending on the volume types.
- Native command queuing - A feature that allows SATA disks to accept more than one command at a time. When used in conjunction with one or more disks that support NCQ, storage performance is increased on random workloads by allowing the disk to internally optimize the order of commands.
- Disk capacity greater than two terabytes (if that size is supported by the option ROM) - This feature provides support for hard disks and solid-state drives with a capacity greater than 2 TB that are reported as pass-through devices (available) or used in a RAID configuration. In addition, booting from a system disk greater than 2 TB is allowed as long as the version of the option ROM in your system supports this feature.
- Password-protected disks - This feature provides high-level security and protection for the data on your disks with a password, denying access from any unauthorized user.